Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1
Master Pack Quantities for reordering
  • Smoke17

Master Pack Quantities for reordering

by Smoke17 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi! I work for a smoke shop where we sell cigarillos. They come 15 in a case and we normally only order 1 case at a time, since if a flavor isn't popular, they go stale. Currently, we have them in our system as individual items without any corresponding case item. We have the minimums set to a low number such as 4 so that when we are low we know to reorder. For the maximum we have it set to 15 + our minimum so that we only order 1 case. It works out sometimes, but when we sell past the minimum we reorder to the maximum. So if our maximum is 19 and our minimum is 4, but we only have 2 in stock, then we would reorder 17 individuals instead of a case. The problem in this scenario is that distributors do not sell individual pieces only by cases. We are unable, therefore, to access features in RetailEdge such as Auto-generating PO's since having to manually edit a generated PO defeats the purpose of generating a PO.

The only relevant information I have found is in this forum. This thread from 2006. https://www.retailedge.com/phpBB/viewto ... pack#p2762

It has been 12 years since then. Does RetailEdge support this feature? And/Or How can I make using this POS system convenient for my company's situation?
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Master Pack Quantities for reordering

by RetailEdge Moderator » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks for reaching out. I think we have the feature you are looking for. The way we handle case ordering is a little different now. We had a number of customers with the 1 case issue and so we changed the automatic ordering process. We now use the case min/max in conjunction with the individual items Min/Max to determine if there are cases to order and if the case has a min/max will order the appropriate case amount. This only works with one case level even though RetailEdge will support multi-level cases.
    The best way to describe how it works is with a few examples (yours would fall under Example 3):

Example 1:

-Parent has case value of 12 child units.
    -Current parent Qty = 1 case.
    -Child has a Min of 5 units and a Max of 12.
    -Current child Qty is 3.
    -Total unit quantity is 15 (3 + 12).
    -Should we reorder?
    -Is (Total_Unit_Qty < Parent_Qty) = NO.

Example 2:

-Parent has case value of 24 child units.
    -Child has a Min of 10 units and a Max of 48.
    -Current child Qty is 8.
    -Total unit quantity is 32 (8 + 24).
    -Should we reorder?

Example 3:

-Parent has case value of 15 child units.
    -Current parent Qty = 0 case.
    -Child has a Min of 4 units and a Max of 15.
    -Current child Qty is 3.
    -Total unit quantity is 3 (3 + 0).
    -Should we reorder?
    -Is (Total_Unit_Qty < Parent_Qty) = YES.
    -Since the Max is 15, we need to order 9 more units (15 - 3).
    -We need to order 1 case in order to get the 12.

Example 4:

-Child has a Min of 12 units and a Max of 36.
    -Current child Qty is 5.
    -Total unit quantity is 5 (5 + 0).
    -Should we reorder?
    -Since the Max is 36, we need to order 31 more units (36 - 5).
    -We need to order 3 cases in order to get the 31.

Example 5:

-Child has a Min of 12 units and a Max of 36.
    -Current child Qty is 5.
    -Total unit quantity is 17 (5 + 12).
    -Should we reorder?

Example 6:

-Child has a Min of 24 units and a Max of 36.
    -Current child Qty is 12.
    -Total unit quantity is 12 (12 + 0).
    -Should we reorder?
    -Since the Max is 36, we need to order 24 more units (36 - 12).
    -We need to order 2 cases in order to get the 24.

Example 7:

-Child has a Min of 24 units and a Max of 36.
    -Current child Qty is 11.
    -Total unit quantity is 23 (11 + 12).
    -Should we reorder?
    -Since the Max is 36, we need to order 13 more units (36 - 23).
    -We need to order 2 cases in order to get the 13.

Smoke17 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:28 pm Hi! I work for a smoke shop where we sell cigarillos. They come 15 in a case and we normally only order 1 case at a time, since if a flavor isn't popular, they go stale. Currently, we have them in our system as individual items without any corresponding case item. We have the minimums set to a low number such as 4 so that when we are low we know to reorder. For the maximum we have it set to 15 + our minimum so that we only order 1 case. It works out sometimes, but when we sell past the minimum we reorder to the maximum. So if our maximum is 19 and our minimum is 4, but we only have 2 in stock, then we would reorder 17 individuals instead of a case. The problem in this scenario is that distributors do not sell individual pieces only by cases. We are unable, therefore, to access features in RetailEdge such as Auto-generating PO's since having to manually edit a generated PO defeats the purpose of generating a PO.

The only relevant information I have found is in this forum. This thread from 2006. https://www.retailedge.com/phpBB/viewto ... pack#p2762

It has been 12 years since then. Does RetailEdge support this feature? And/Or How can I make using this POS system convenient for my company's situation?
Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1