Post Reply 1 post Page 1 of 1
How do I tell if my computer system might be failing?
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

How do I tell if my computer system might be failing?

by RetailEdge Moderator » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Here are a couple of easily accessible Windows tools that can help you determine the health of your computer.

Windows Event Viewer

The Windows Event Viewer is a useful diagnostic tool that shows any potential issues and their causes on your computer system. Errors and warnings are normal. But you should note consistent errors, critical errors specifically unexpected shut downs, power events, service events, and application events.

To run Event Viewer:

1. Press the “Windows” Key and “R” to launch the Run Command

2. Type in the Dialog Field “eventvwr” Press the Enter Key.

3. Select the the Events you want to view.
    -Custom Views Folder, Administrative Events provides a chronological listing of critical errors and error and warning events from administrative logs. This is helpful in tracking down related incidents.
    - Windows Logs provides events logs separated by Application, Security, Setup, System, and Forwarded Events. These logs help in further diagnosing causes of systemic instability.

It is important to note that errors do occur on healthy systems. However if you are seeing a lot of colors (reds and yellows) related to critical system components you may want to have your system diagnosed by an IT professional.

Windows Reliability Monitor

To run Reliability Monitor:

1. Select the Search field from Windows. On Windows 7 select the Start menu, on Windows 8 launch the Charms bar and select Search.

2. Search for Reliability Monitor and select View Reliability History.

3. Select the View all problem reports link at the bottom of the Reliability Monitor to view any problem reports.

The Windows Reliability Monitor provides a graphical presentation of your system's performance and problem history. Reliability Monitor should be used to determine when system problems occurred and cross reference Reliability Monitor's chronological information with the Window Event Viewer.
Post Reply 1 post Page 1 of 1