Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1
Server errors on a client workstation
  • allenstorm
    New User
    New User

Server errors on a client workstation

by allenstorm » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:15 pm

I have Retail Edge 8.2 and the accompanying data server set up on a desktop. I am trying to set up a client workstation on a laptop, but according to some checks I've run via the command prompt, the laptop will successfully ping the data server IP, but when I run the telnet command, it returns "Could not open connection to the host, on port 12005." I have the Windows firewalls disabled on both machines, and laptop can ping the IP of the desktop and vice versa, and the telnet port command works as it should on the desktop, but the only trouble seems to be connecting to the 12005 port via the laptop. There is no antivirus software on the desktop, and Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop. Anybody got any suggestions? I've gone through the installation and troubleshooting instructions in the Retail Edge manual several times to no avail.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Server errors on a client workstation

by RetailEdge Moderator » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Sounds like you have done all the simple things correctly. So at this point you might want to call into technical support who can remotely login to both machines and take a look at what you have.

It does sound like some sort of firewall problem. Maybe zone alarm or some other software is blocking? Or there are some router settings blocking. But it is hard to tell without getting in and looking around.

allenstorm wrote:I have Retail Edge 8.2 and the accompanying data server set up on a desktop. I am trying to set up a client workstation on a laptop, but according to some checks I've run via the command prompt, the laptop will successfully ping the data server IP, but when I run the telnet command, it returns "Could not open connection to the host, on port 12005." I have the Windows firewalls disabled on both machines, and laptop can ping the IP of the desktop and vice versa, and the telnet port command works as it should on the desktop, but the only trouble seems to be connecting to the 12005 port via the laptop. There is no antivirus software on the desktop, and Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop. Anybody got any suggestions? I've gone through the installation and troubleshooting instructions in the Retail Edge manual several times to no avail.
Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1