Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1
Dongle issue
    FatBear
    New User
    New User

Dongle issue

by FatBear » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:35 pm

I just took delivery of a new computer. I downloaded the RetailEdge demo software and moved a dongle from the old system to use with it. The dongle is not recognized. I have confirmed the following:

1. The dongle does work on the old system.
    2. Device manager sees the dongle (CBUSB Ver 2.0, manufacturer: MARX CryptoTech LP.
    3. Device manager says the dongle is working.
    4. I can unplug the dongle and that device disappears. Plug it back in and it re-appears.
    5. Device manager says the driver is up to date.

I cannot put a different dongle on this system as the nearest one is 120 miles away.

I have rebooted the system and RE still does not recognize the dongle.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.
    Andy
    Developer
    Developer

Re: Dongle issue

by Andy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 am

Does your new computer have USB 3 ports? We've heard of some customers having trouble with newer machines that are coming with USB 3 ports (the driver for the dongle appears to have problems with USB3). In many cases, the newer machines come with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Folks have had success once they installed the dongle into the USB2 ports.

If your new computer does not have a USB2 port, then another option might be to try a USB HUB with USB2 ports. If that does not work, then we can also consider setting you up with a virtual dongle (software-based). This will tie the RetailEdge license to the machine itself instead of to the dongle. If you want to go this route, you'll have to contact our office during business hours (we're closed Columbus day).

HTH.
    FatBear
    New User
    New User

by FatBear » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for your reply. I tried the USB hub approach and it works (sort of: RE does not recognize the dongle until about 10 seconds after it opens in DEMO mode, then works fine.) But that is not a long term solution. All I need is more computer clutter around my main cash register. I assume the manufacturer is working on a driver to correct this issue?
    Andy
    Developer
    Developer

by Andy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:48 am

I'm glad the USB hub works as a work-around for now. Yes, we have been in contact with the manufacturer. They are looking into the problem but have not committed to a timeline yet. We'll keep an eye on it. In the meantime, please remember there is one other option, the virtual dongle. This would eliminate the clutter (i.e. no USB hub).
Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1