Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1
Can Not Retreive Backup Files From Server
  • wildman
    New User
    New User

Can Not Retreive Backup Files From Server

by wildman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:58 pm

Monday night when I was closing, Register1 which is the server shut down. I was closing from Register2. Once I restarted Register1 I went ahead with closing out and backing up. Tuesday night when I attempted to Backup from Register2 I got got the Error retrieving backup files from the server. I tried twice, It did the same thing. I closed Retail Edge on Register1 and opened it up on Register2, and did the backup, it worked fine. Same thing tonight. I know on the old system I would look for a pdox.lck file, delete it and everything would be fine. I believe I have some kink of file lock now, but not sure what to look for or where to look. What should I do?
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Can Not Retreive Backup Files From Server

by RetailEdge Moderator » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm

So you are saying that you can only backup from Register 2 when Register 1 is out of the program?
    Also can you backup from Register 1 when Register 2 is in the program?
    One more thing to try. Quit RetailEdge on Register 1 and then open it right away. Then try the backup on Register 2. Does it work?
    And lastly, try quitting out of both workstations, then open Register 1. Then press Ctrl-Alt-P on the main screen and purge your Users table. Does this have any effect fixing the issue?

Let us know how it goes.

wildman wrote:Monday night when I was closing, Register1 which is the server shut down. I was closing from Register2. Once I restarted Register1 I went ahead with closing out and backing up. Tuesday night when I attempted to Backup from Register2 I got got the Error retrieving backup files from the server. I tried twice, It did the same thing. I closed Retail Edge on Register1 and opened it up on Register2, and did the backup, it worked fine. Same thing tonight. I know on the old system I would look for a pdox.lck file, delete it and everything would be fine. I believe I have some kink of file lock now, but not sure what to look for or where to look. What should I do?
  • wildman
    New User
    New User

by wildman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:02 pm

RetailEdge Moderator wrote:So you are saying that you can only backup from Register 2 when Register 1 is out of the program?
    Also can you backup from Register 1 when Register 2 is in the program?

NO CAN NOT BACK UP FROM REGISTER1. it makes no difference if register 2 is running retail edge or not.

One more thing to try. Quit RetailEdge on Register 1 and then open it right away. Then try the backup on Register 2. Does it worl?

I can back up from register2 (the server) It makes no differance if Register1 is in retail edge or not.

And lastly, try quiting out of both workstations, then open Register 1. Then press Ctrl-Alt-P on the main screen and purge your Users table. Does this have any effect fixing the issue?

Ctrl-Alt-P is the shortcut for our print screen

Let us know how it goes.

wildman wrote:Monday night when I was closing, Register1 which is the server shut down. I was closing from Register2. Once I restarted Register1 I went ahead with closing out and backing up. Tuesday night when I attempted to Backup from Register2 I got got the Error retrieving backup files from the server. I tried twice, It did the same thing. I closed Retail Edge on Register1 and opened it up on Register2, and did the backup, it worked fine. Same thing tonight. I know on the old system I would look for a pdox.lck file, delete it and everything would be fine. I believe I have some kink of file lock now, but not sure what to look for or where to look. What should I do?
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Ok. Got it.

There are two things that might be going on if you can't backup from a secondary register.

1. The backup is very large.
    2. Something is blocking the file transfer.

There are two steps to a backup.

1. Creating the backup file
    2. Sending it via FTP protocols to a remote workstation.

You should be able to see these steps when you backup identified by 1. Backing up each file, 2. Transferring the backup file.

If the problem happens during the first step you are most likely having permissions issues. You can check this by going to the temp folder in the installation directory on the server/main machine (C:\Program Files (x86)\High Meadow Business Solutions\RetailEdge 8.2\Server\Temp). If there is a file called re_backup.bkp with a current datestamp then you have made it through the first step. If not, then most likely RetailEdge is having trouble writing to your temp directory and may have some Windows permissions issues.

If the file exists and you are having problems during the transfer step, then you probably have a very large file or you have some firewall issues on the machines. RetailEdge uses ports 12007 and 12008 for this step of the transfer. If these are being blocked you could potentially have transfer issues. Or the file could be so large (200 MB) that the FTP protocols can't handle it. This is very unlikely in a single location operation but if you see this you should try purging your data (tools purge Log Files is a good first step) and or verifying and rebuilding your tables (if an index or table gets corrupted Windows can mis report the size of the file).

Let us know how it goes.
  • wildman
    New User
    New User

by wildman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 am

Don't know what worked, but I did a reboot of both machines, and a reformat of the back up media and it works now.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:08 am

Good to hear. I have seen some times where a reboot takes care of the problem. I am not sure what does it, but I have seen Windows Updates that require reboots, block certain ports and applications. Maybe that was the issue.

But glad to hear you are all set.

wildman wrote:Don't know what worked, but I did a reboot of both machines, and a reformat of the back up media and it works now.
Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1