Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1
PinPads
  • wildman
    New User
    New User

PinPads

by wildman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:46 pm

My credit card processor wants to set me up for debit using pin pads. They are Verifone 1000SE USB, he has a usb driver that works for PC Charge, will they work in Retail Edge? The driver assigns the pin pad a com port address.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: PinPads

by RetailEdge Moderator » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 am

RetailEdge will work with the 1000SE USB. The USB device will have a driver that will allow you to setup the device with a virtual serial port (COM6, etc.). Then RetailEdge can talk to the device using the COM port that gets setup.

However you should be cautious about using a PINPad. We have seen lots of installation issues when using PINPads. The most common is that the driver is not setup properly. They can be tricky and you should make sure your processor will set it up and make sure it is working. If you have an option I would recommend you getting a serial device. We have had better luck with these probably because the USB driver is a little temperamental.

All this being said, the PINPad may or may not work. Each PINPad gets injected with a key that is specific to the processor you are using. We have been able to test this with the processors we talk to directly (PPI and MPS). However, we can't test it for each different processor. We have seen instances where the PINPad works with one processor at one location and not at another. So we can't support using PINPads with any other processor than PPI and MPS.

Hope this helps.

wildman wrote:My credit card processor wants to set me up for debit using pin pads. They are Verifone 1000SE USB, he has a usb driver that works for PC Charge, will they work in Retail Edge? The driver assigns the pin pad a com port address.
  • emanuel

by emanuel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:19 am

Hi,

Whats his recommendation? It is safer to use the cable serial to usb cable?
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am

The safest is to use serial. Then USB.

The problems that we have seen with the USBs are that the driver that allows the USB to emulate a serial port does not always work and can be temperamental.

But again. We only support the PINPads through our two processing partners (PayPros and Mercury). If you choose to do it through PCCharge it might work but if it does not you are on your own or your merchant service person needs to help you out.

emanuel wrote:Hi,

Whats his recommendation? It is safer to use the cable serial to usb cable?
Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1