Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1
Shipping and sales tax in my state....
  • Jared
    New User
    New User

Shipping and sales tax in my state....

by Jared » Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 am

Hello,

We have just started using the shipping feature within the last couple of weeks and today we ran across an online order that shipped to a customer in our state of business. When hitting the "ship this sale" button Retail Edge still took off the tax amount even though it was shipping to a customer in our state.

To fix this I had to un check the ship this sale button so it would add tax back in properly.

Is this done on purpose or is this something that should be changed in a future update?

As far as I know all 50 states require tax to be applied to a sale if the shipping address is in the same state as the item is shipped.

Thanks,
    Jared Powell
    Insane Paintball
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Shipping and sales tax in my state....

by RetailEdge Moderator » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:29 pm

When you check "Ship this Sale" in RetailEdge, RetailEdge will apply the Sales Tax Jurisdiction for the customer (edited on the Misc tab of the Customer Editor). If there is no customer associated with the sale then RetailEdge has no jurisdiction to apply the sale to and will remove tax from the sale.

There are States that will have different in-state sales tax rates. For instance, Vermont has municipalities that have a local option tax. So if I ship from Rutland Vermont to Manchester Vermont, I have to apply a 1% local option tax. If I am shipping to Mendon, I would not have to. So in this case you would setup two jurisdictions rates, State at 6% and Manchester Local Option at 1%. The customer would have both associated with them. But the Sales Screen would only have the State. So under normal circumstances, RetailEdge would just charge 6%. But if you associated the customer with the sale and checked Ship This Sale, you would have 7% applied.
Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1