Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1
RetailEdge and Windows Vista
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

RetailEdge and Windows Vista

by RetailEdge Moderator » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:02 pm

RetailEdge 8.0 will work fine with Windows Vista. We have tested RetailEdge here and are using the program on Vista. This is an on-going discussion of Windows Issues encountered in order to assist RetailEdge Customers using Windows Vista.

1. The manufacturer of the hardware key (dongle) has updated their driver. This will be installed with any new RetailEdge installation. However, any RetailEdge user who installed the program prior to Version 8.0.13 should update the driver for the dongle. More about this can be found at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1687&p=2090

2. When installing RetailEdge 8.0, you should be logged on as an adminstrator.

3. Initial setup of magstrip reader, caused some funny characters to be send to the screen during an initial setup with Vista. Having Vista update this driver took care of the problem.

4. There has been some evidence of problems using PCCharge. You should check with them on Vista compatibility if you are using PCCharge to process credit cards. Their website is http://www.pccharge.com.
    This is not a problem if you are processing credit cards directly through the program using either Payment Processing Inc's (PPI) PayMover Gateway or Mercury Payment System's (MPS) Gateway.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Windows Vista 64

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:53 pm

RetailEdge is a 32 Bit application and so there is not real advantage to purchasing a copy of Vista 64 for your computer if you are purchasing it to run RetailEdge. Actually there are several disadvantages.

1. The Vista 64 installation procedure is different from other operating systems. RetailEdge data files will be put in a different directory (X86) that is different from other operating systems. This requires a change to the the RetailEdge server files to let RetailEdge know where the data is located.

2. More importantly driver support for many POS peripherals is unknown at this point.

We have had one customer who has installed RetailEdge successfully on a Vista 64 bit operating system and another who spent hours with a technician (think $100/hour) getting the system to run and was finally unsuccessful.

So we do not currently recommend this operating system for computers that will be running RetailEdge.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

RetailEdge and Windows Vista 64

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:01 pm

RetailEdge's installer will now properly take in to account 64 bit operating systems and will make the adjustment to the database location information.
  • SGSLV
    New User
    New User

Re: RetailEdge and Windows Vista

by SGSLV » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:09 pm

Hey Bill, This is John from ShowGirl Supplies in Las Vegas.

I tried to Update Retail Edge from 8.1.10 to 8.1.11 on my Vista 64 machine. Everything seemed to work as usual, until Retail Edge restarted.
    I got an Information Pop Up Window.

This copy of Retail Edge does not match the expected version. Please call High Meadow Business Solutions for assistance. You will be able to start RetailEdge 2 more time(s).

I have opened Retail Edge quite a few times the last few days.. lol anyway, let me know if I need to give you guys a call. thanks!
    Andy
    Developer
    Developer

by Andy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:41 am

John,

After updating in Vista, you need to run RetailEdge one more time as an administrator. To do so, Right Click on the RE shortcut and select Run As Admin. You should be all set after that.

Take Care.

Andy.
  • SGSLV
    New User
    New User

by SGSLV » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks Andy! worked like a charm!
Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1