Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1
Server/Client modes
  • joshjn
    New User
    New User

Server/Client modes

by joshjn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 am

I am working on one of my client sites that uses RE 8. I have just added a second RE workstation about 3 months ago for them and don't see them adding more in the near future. This particular client's struggle is with data protection. There are rare backups, old/failing hardware, no power protection, etc - this is what I am working on.

Anyway - short question is, I am putting in a server with RAID and redundant PSU's for them and automating everything I can. I would like to move the RE server duties to the server as well and off of the cheap workstation. Will they be required to purchase a 3rd license for the server or is there a way to run the server in just server mode, no client needed as this will be a headless unit.

Thanks!
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Server/Client modes

by RetailEdge Moderator » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:11 pm

They don't have to purchase another workstation in order to have the server moved off the main POS workstation. The license goes with the USB keys and so they would just install a client/server version on the server machine, back up the data on the existing DB server machine and restore onto the new server machine and have the clients point their IP addresses to the new server.

Having the main workstation in a 3 workstation environment is typically from a performance standpoint not a big deal. However, there are reasons to move the data to a back dedicated server. However, be aware that our standard recommendation of having the data on the main POS machine is there because of years of experience. When the LAN flakes, if the main POS has the data then it can still ring in sales. If it is on the back server they are going to be out of luck and down.
    joshjn wrote:I am working on one of my client sites that uses RE 8. I have just added a second RE workstation about 3 months ago for them and don't see them adding more in the near future. This particular client's struggle is with data protection. There are rare backups, old/failing hardware, no power protection, etc - this is what I am working on.

Anyway - short question is, I am putting in a server with RAID and redundant PSU's for them and automating everything I can. I would like to move the RE server duties to the server as well and off of the cheap workstation. Will they be required to purchase a 3rd license for the server or is there a way to run the server in just server mode, no client needed as this will be a headless unit.

Thanks!
  • joshjn
    New User
    New User

by joshjn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Good point. I'll add that to their decision matrix on what to do.

So I can install the demo version on the server, restore a backup to it, and leave the two workstations running as registers/clients?
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:41 pm

If you have the original installation disks yes. If the customer is on a Software Maintenance Plan, then you can update through the utility.

Then you can have the registers running as clients.

joshjn wrote:Good point. I'll add that to their decision matrix on what to do.

So I can install the demo version on the server, restore a backup to it, and leave the two workstations running as registers/clients?
Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1