Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1
running slow
  • wildman
    New User
    New User

running slow

by wildman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Retail edge is running really slow sometimes we have to wait several seconds between typing each number in. We are running a server with SBS 2003 with retail edge installed there. Register 1 is a P4 with XP Pro, Register 2 is AMD Quad Core running vista ultimate.
    Register 1 has server and client installed. I tried to restore backup from server to register 1 (setting register 1 as server) but restore error'd and canceled. I thought it might run faster on the local machine. Would it run faster if I installed the server on register 2 since it is a faster machine? Do I need to uninstall retail edge client and reinstall client/server? Would restore work on register 1 if I did a uninstall and a new reinstall of server/client?
    I recently tried to speed up things by shutting down all machines and restarting. It helped a little, but still runs slow.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: running slow

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:27 am

When you say running slow, I assume you are talking about the Sales Screen. If this is the case, there are a few things that you can try.

1. Choose Verify Tables From the Tools menu item.
    2. When the Verify Tables form is displayed, press Ctrl-Alt-R to repair the tables. You can choose all the tables, but typically the ones that cause slowness on the sales screen are the Invent and Invent_Quan tables. This repair process will rebuild the tables and also more importantly in this case re-index them. When you do a search for an item on the sales screen, RetailEdge is looking for the inventory item and also building a list of quantities, so these tables are the ones that we find speeds up this process. You might want to try to do this more than once.
    3. Choose Optimize Tables From the Tools menu item. This will move the tables to a different area on your hard disk (kind of like a Windows Defragmentation).

Sounds like the system you are running it on should be sufficient. RetailEdge does not really need that much of a system to do what it has to do especially on the sales functions. If you think it is something processor specific then I would check your systems performance in the Task Manager and see what is chewing up resources. Some culprits we have found in the past are AV software (you might want to put some exclusions on the RetailEdge files if this is the case) and Google Desktop (everytime there is a change to a file which in the case of sales tables can be a lot, this application will try to index the files).

Hope this helps. It should but let us know if it does not.

wildman wrote:Retail edge is running really slow sometimes we have to wait several seconds between typing each number in. We are running a server with SBS 2003 with retail edge installed there. Register 1 is a P4 with XP Pro, Register 2 is AMD Quad Core running vista ultimate.
    Register 1 has server and client installed. I tried to restore backup from server to register 1 (setting register 1 as server) but restore error'd and canceled. I thought it might run faster on the local machine. Would it run faster if I installed the server on register 2 since it is a faster machine? Do I need to uninstall retail edge client and reinstall client/server? Would restore work on register 1 if I did a uninstall and a new reinstall of server/client?
    I recently tried to speed up things by shutting down all machines and restarting. It helped a little, but still runs slow.
  • wildman
    New User
    New User

by wildman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:32 am

Bill, I have done the verify twice, it hasn't made a differance. You are right it is when entering a item in the sales screen. Should we optimize the inventory tables, or go through all tables?
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:38 pm

Did you do the Verify AND Repair or just a Verify? You should Repair all the inventory tables if you have. Or you can call us and we can poke around and see what we can find since you are on a service plan.

wildman wrote:Bill, I have done the verify twice, it hasn't made a differance. You are right it is when entering a item in the sales screen. Should we optimize the inventory tables, or go through all tables?
Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1