Although we sell and support the Zebra series of label printers, and have had good success with these in the past, RetailEdge should be able to print to any printer that has a Windows driver. To get RetailEdge to print to a dedicated label printer you should perform the following steps.
1. Download and install the latest driver from the barcode printer's website or installation CD. If this is a Zebra Desktop printer you should install the ZDesigner Driver.
2. Make sure you can perform a test print from the Windows printer driver to your printer. If Windows can't print to the printer, then neither can RetailEdge.
3. Once you have the printer driver installed, you will need to setup the Label Stocks (paper sizes) in the Windows printer driver. If you are printing to a Zebra 2824 printer, we have created an import file that will allow you to import a number of pre-defined stocks into the Printer Driver. This import file can be found at:ftp://ftp.highmeadow.com/pub/Support/pr ... -11-11.drs
More about how to install the stocks file can be found here
If you are not using a Zebra printer, then you will need to manually create in the Windows Driver the label sizes you need. RetailEdge currently supports the following label sizes for up to 2.25 wide labels.
Label 1.18 x 1.00 (2 Across)
Label 1.20 x 0.85
Label 1.50 x 1.00
Label 2.00 x 1.00
Label 2.20 x 0.50 (Jewelry)
Label 2.25 x 0.75
Label 2.25 x 1.25
Label 2.25 x 4.00
The label name in the driver must exactly match these names for the label you are trying to print. Just copy and past from this posting to to make sure it is correct.
4. Make sure that RetailEdge has the current label definition files. We have two SQL files on our website that you can use to make sure that your label files are up to date. Updating Existing Label Stylesftp://ftp.highmeadow.com/pub/Support/pr ... -23-11.sqlReplacing Label Definition File and Adding New Labelsftp://ftp.highmeadow.com/pub/Support/pr ... -11-11.sql
Once you have downloaded these files to your computer, you can run them by choosing SQL Runner from the Tools menu in RetailEdge and choosing the downloaded file.
5. Try and print a label from RetailEdge Inventory manager using Zebra/Eltron - 1.2"w x 0.85"h, 1 Up (for the Label 1.20 x 0.85). Preview the label. If the label previews in a small label in the middle of the form you know it should work. If it looks like a label in the upper left hand corner of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper you know that you have setup your label size/stock in your Windows printer incorrectly.
If it does not display correctly then you either need to change the driver settings or there is something in the driver that will not allow it to print properly.Label Sizes
These are fairly common types. The 2.25 x 1.25 is typically used for apparel labeling for hang tags. The jewelry tags are the butterfly type that wrap around rings, etc. The 1.18 x 1.00 2 across is a removable adhesive label that is good for gift store labeling where you have items that might be ruined with the other adhesives (think lacquer boxes). The 2.25 x 0.75 which are nice for bead tubes or test tubes.
For information on setting up these other labels you can take a look at these forum postings.
Rat Tail Jewelry labels: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1823&p=2735
Tags for Plant Nurseries: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1667&p=2056
RetailEdge currently has over 65 predefined labels that have already been created from customer requests. So if you don't see one that you like, pick one that is closest to the one you want and let us know. It is pretty easy for us to create new ones. If we think it is something other customers would want and is pretty close to another label that we can use for the modification, then there is usually no charge for this. However, if it is something unique to your business and takes time to create then we might have to charge some nominal fee for this service.
Some of the available fields you can use are:
Discounted Price (For was/now or ours/theirs labels)
Export Codes, Manufacturers Part Numbers Vendor Part Numbers User fields and Notes fields (these can be useful for alternate descriptions
Date or Date Code
If the driver you are using is not allowing you to make modifications to the label stocks you might want to download the Seagull driver. They have drivers that support most printers and do allow you a lot of flexibility. You can download the drivers from here http://www.seagullscientific.comConfiguration Service
If you can't make RetailEdge to print to your barcode label printer or don't want to spend the time setting up your printer, we provide a barcode label configuration server and can do it for you. Typical service plan charges apply and typically this takes no more than 15 minutes.