The upgrade is pretty simple. You can actually try the process before you upgrade by downloading the demo. Since the demo is a real copy of the program, you will be able to take your existing 7.5 data over to 8.1 to see what it looks like.
To do this:
1. Download Version 8.x (x being the current version of the program installed, 1,2, etc.) demo computer that has Version 7.5 on it.
2. At the end of the night, close 7.5 and make sure you don't have anything in receiving.
3. Open Windows Explorer and go to the installation directory where RetailEdge is installed (typically this is c:\program files\high meadow business solutions\retailedge 8.x folder. The file is called Convert_To_8_x.exe.
4. Run this program. A wizard will walk you through the process. If you have installed RetailEdge 7.5 and 8.x from the defaults you should not have to change any values in the Wizard.
5. This process should be run at night before you leave. Depending on how much data you have it could take 20 minutes to 6 hours. Both Version 7.5 and Version 8.x can't be run while this procedure is taking place.
6. When the conversion is complete open RetailEdge 8.x and choose Server Connection from the Tools|Settings menu item. Change the DB_name from RetailEdgeData_Demo to RetailEdgeData. You should see all your Version 7.5 data converted to Version 8.x. RetailEdge will have exceeded the demo limits at this point and will not allow you to post any more data. However it will let you see how your data looks in the new program and allow you to run reports. If you want to try the program just point back to the RetailEdgeData_Demo database. This will allow you to try a few sales, enter inventory and create some customer data so you can see how easy this process is.
The conversion program simply makes a copy of your data. You should continue to run Version 7.5 until you are ready to purchase Version 8.x. We will then send you a key and when you are ready to make the switch, just run the conversion again and you should be all set.