Post Reply 3 posts Page 1 of 1
Importing Sales Data
  • eicheli
    New User
    New User

Importing Sales Data

by eicheli » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:05 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to import sales data into my database. I did an export of existing data to ensure I have all the right tags, but I keep getting the error message: "Invalid Data File: Missing Start and/or Closing tags." I have checked the import file in Notepad to ensure there were no extra commas at the end of the tags.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank-you,

Ingrid
    Andy
    Developer
    Developer

by Andy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:21 am

It sounds like you are missing the start and closing tags that delineate each part, or section, of the import file.

The best way to get to know the REDI format is to try a RetailEdge Export and look at the REDI export file. In it, you'll see that there are different sections for inventory, departments, vendors, etc. Each section is starts and ends with HTML-like tags. These are the tags that you are probably missing.

Also, if you're using Excel, you may find that Excel will append or strip commas from the file, so it is best to have all data fields (or at least the last data field) filled when creating the file in Excel. Also, you may have to open the file in a text editor like Microsoft Notepad, and remove commas from the data header and footer tags that may have been appended during the Excel conversion to a CSV file.
  • eicheli
    New User
    New User

by eicheli » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:40 pm

I'd caught the extra commas on the header lines, but apparently Excel added a bunch of commas on the data lines, too. Once I removed these, the error went away and the file loaded properly.

Thanks for your help.
Post Reply 3 posts Page 1 of 1