Post Reply 5 posts Page 1 of 1
HELP THEFT!!!
  • glowfish
    New User
    New User

HELP THEFT!!!

by glowfish » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Hello,
    I am freaking out. It appears one of our employees has been "returning" items and taking the cash.
    When I pull a report for the detailed customer sales sometimes it has a -1 and other times it has a 0 even though the item was a return. Also there is sometimes 0 values for price and others it shows a return. I am not sure what is going on with the report or how to read it. I have to pull up each ticket number and look. Also, worrying that this might be messing up my inventory. Did I mention I am freaking out as well. Seriously...if she is doing this under her name...what else am I missing.
    Thanks,
    Vanessa
    Attachments
    de.JPG
    de.JPG (65.22 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
  • glowfish
    New User
    New User

Re: HELP THEFT!!!

by glowfish » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:48 pm

So I printed a detailed report and the values seem to be correct. Not sure if this needs to be fixed on the summary or why it is different. Phew. Now for the not so fun part of looking through things.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 am

I am not sure what report you are looking at since RetailEdge sales reports usually have a lot more information on them about margins, discounts, etc. However if this is information from a summary sales report:

Negatives are returns,
    Zero quantities are items that are on a sale but sold with a quantity zero.

You can drill down on the item(s) by going into the Inventory manager and finding the sales in question from the Sales tab and then double clicking the ticket. So it should be pretty easy to drill down and see what is going on.

The summary and detail reports should show the same information totals but the detail will show each transaction with the item(s) so this might give you an idea of what is going on quickly.

If you really want to protect yourself from this type of problem, you can turn on security and prevent your clerks from performing returns without proper authorization. Also if these sales/returns were actually going through the register and being rung up, your drawer totals should have been way off at the end of the day when you did a closing.

But let us know if you need more help.
    glowfish wrote:Hello,
    I am freaking out. It appears one of our employees has been "returning" items and taking the cash.
    When I pull a report for the detailed customer sales sometimes it has a -1 and other times it has a 0 even though the item was a return. Also there is sometimes 0 values for price and others it shows a return. I am not sure what is going on with the report or how to read it. I have to pull up each ticket number and look. Also, worrying that this might be messing up my inventory. Did I mention I am freaking out as well. Seriously...if she is doing this under her name...what else am I missing.
    Thanks,
    Vanessa
  • glowfish
    New User
    New User

by glowfish » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:19 am

So the summary and the detailed did not match. There were actual sales of items. The zero doesn't make sense because on detail it shows it as a negative but on summary as a zero. Not sure if this is something you should look into or why it would be happening on my system. The detail seems correct but the summary was not.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:13 pm

I am not sure why your summary and detail do not match. I have run both reports here and they seem to match. There is no record of a problem with these reports. If you print both reports and then upload them to the forum, then we can see what might be going on.

One thing that looking at the report that you have attached already that is a little disconcerting, is that you have a number of sales that are 0 quantity with a negative dollar value. The way this would happen is that you would sell the item at a discount, then return it without the discount. This is why when a customer returns an item you need to have their original receipt so that you know if they purchased the original item at a discount. Then you should return it at a discounted rate. In your case it looks like they returned it at full value which would either require that you give the customer change to their card or cash. If you had an unscrupulous clerk, they could pocket the difference.

glowfish wrote:So the summary and the detailed did not match. There were actual sales of items. The zero doesn't make sense because on detail it shows it as a negative but on summary as a zero. Not sure if this is something you should look into or why it would be happening on my system. The detail seems correct but the summary was not.
Post Reply 5 posts Page 1 of 1