Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1
Unprocessed vs Processed Sales on Imports
  • dapr
    New User
    New User

Unprocessed vs Processed Sales on Imports

by dapr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:17 pm

In the Import Utility for Sales, one has to choose import type between these two choices:
    Sales: Add unprocessed sales to Saved Sales file.
    Sales: Add processed sales to today's sales.

I checked the online user guide, and it does not give any additional information.
    I am not at all sure what this means and what the import utility does, but here's my stab at it:

For Option 1 ("Add unprocessed sales to the Saved Sales file"), I am assuming this means:
    - You have sales which are not in the Saved Sales file on the RE system that you are running.
    - You want to add those sales without affecting the sales that are already there.
    - The sales you need to add are "unprocessed" with respect to the RE system you are running in the store, although they may be "processed" with respect to some "offline" transactions with customers.
    - The import file would need the sale dates and times to be able to add the sales with the correct date/time information on the system, and the import utility would append the Saved Sales file with all the data added for the dates provided by the import file.

For Option 2 ("Add processed sales to Today's Sales"), I am assuming this means:
    - If you just want to add sales to the system and have the data appended to today's sales, the import utility would ignore any date in your import file and just add the sales data with today's date.
    - I would assume that the import utility would assign the current time to the sales transactions, or else it would leave the time field blank. (Would it add the transaction time if you included it in your import file with the "Date/Time" field?

For either option, the import file would need to have the format of the Redi file you see when you export Sales data, or the format of a CSV file when you export to that format. Wow would it handle ticket numbers? Can I put ticket numbers in the import file for the system to assign?

Something I noticed about the data in the Redi file of exported Sales data: it includes inventory data. If you have inventory data in your import file, what does the import utility for Sales do with that? Will it ignore it? Will it append the inventory file if an inventory item is not found? Will it change the inventory file currently running on the system to the information in the import file?

I would really appreciate some help understanding the Sales import function.
    Thanks.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Unprocessed vs Processed Sales on Imports

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:06 pm

I understand that you have spoken to our technical support staff and have the answers you need. However, to quickly address your questions.

1. Saved sales are just sales that are saved in RetailEdge (typically quotes). Sometimes saved sales are brought in the program as saved so you can modify them and process them in the real program where you might have the ability to process credit cards or use a store credit or house charge. These types of more complicated sales are not allowed to be imported.

2. Processed Sales imports should import with the time stamp of the original sale. This import file has a lot of different sub categories in the file. This is so that if someone is importing data from a separate copy of RetailEdge that was off-line, we have all the information that might be required for the sale. If someone has created a new inventory item or department we will grab this information and import it as well.

RetailEdge will import the new sales with ticket numbers that are the next available ones for the data that it is being imported into. So even if you export an sale with Ticket 12345, but the next available in the imported dataset is 123, it will get ticket number 123.

Hope that helps.

dapr wrote:In the Import Utility for Sales, one has to choose import type between these two choices:
    Sales: Add unprocessed sales to Saved Sales file.
    Sales: Add processed sales to today's sales.

I checked the online user guide, and it does not give any additional information.
    I am not at all sure what this means and what the import utility does, but here's my stab at it:

For Option 1 ("Add unprocessed sales to the Saved Sales file"), I am assuming this means:
    - You have sales which are not in the Saved Sales file on the RE system that you are running.
    - You want to add those sales without affecting the sales that are already there.
    - The sales you need to add are "unprocessed" with respect to the RE system you are running in the store, although they may be "processed" with respect to some "offline" transactions with customers.
    - The import file would need the sale dates and times to be able to add the sales with the correct date/time information on the system, and the import utility would append the Saved Sales file with all the data added for the dates provided by the import file.

For Option 2 ("Add processed sales to Today's Sales"), I am assuming this means:
    - If you just want to add sales to the system and have the data appended to today's sales, the import utility would ignore any date in your import file and just add the sales data with today's date.
    - I would assume that the import utility would assign the current time to the sales transactions, or else it would leave the time field blank. (Would it add the transaction time if you included it in your import file with the "Date/Time" field?

For either option, the import file would need to have the format of the Redi file you see when you export Sales data, or the format of a CSV file when you export to that format. Wow would it handle ticket numbers? Can I put ticket numbers in the import file for the system to assign?

Something I noticed about the data in the Redi file of exported Sales data: it includes inventory data. If you have inventory data in your import file, what does the import utility for Sales do with that? Will it ignore it? Will it append the inventory file if an inventory item is not found? Will it change the inventory file currently running on the system to the information in the import file?

I would really appreciate some help understanding the Sales import function.
    Thanks.
Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1