Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1
Island Server Path
  • glowfish
    New User
    New User

Island Server Path

by glowfish » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:41 pm

So almost weekly my island is not able to connect with my main register. They are 3 feet from each other and on the same wireless.

1. What should the server path be set to?
    2. When I check the LAN address it shows .103 but the main ends in .150 not sure if I need to switch one.
    3. We have the main set to a static ip address that ends in .150
    4. The island is set to automatically find ip address.

Is there something I can do to make this connection more stable? It is affecting our inventory and also our POs. I have contacted you guys on this matter and have also had a local computer guy out but they keep loosing connection. I may call you guys Monday but am hoping to do with without a cost.

Thank you and have a fantastic weekend!
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Island Server Path

by RetailEdge Moderator » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:07 am

It should be pretty straightforward, but here are the settings you need:

1. The Server path (Tools|Settings|Server Connection) on the Island should be 127.0.0.1. An Island looks to itself for its data. 127.0.0.1. is the address all the computer have for themselves.

2. The 103 LAN address you are referring to is the IP of Island and 150 is the LAN address of the main machine. When you are on the Server Connection screen and press the LAN info button, RetailEdge will tell you the IP of the machine you are on.

3. Fixing the main machine Server Connection IP is a good idea. That way you can always be sure the clients or islands can find that machine on the LAN. We typically setup the Server Connection IP of the Main machine to 127.0.0.1, since this IP will always be there and if the 150 changes (it shouldn't but things happen), then at least that machine will run RetailEdge without having to adjust IP settings. It also allows our technical support to more easily see which machine is the server.

4. The Island workstation settings (Tools|Settings|Workstations, RetailEdge Island Tab) should be set to the 150 IP. That tells the Island synchronization engine where to go to check for data to be synched and where to send its data.

If you think your network connection is good, and all your settings are good and are still not synching, then you should choose the Tools|RetailEdge Island Log viewer menu item. This will let you see any errors and when and where they are occurring in the process.

Since you are running Island only on the LAN using LAN IPs, you will only be able to send and fetch data to and from the server machine when you are in the LAN. That is the beauty of Island that you can now just pick it up, take it home and any changes made on either machine will be synched next time you are in the LAN. But only when you are back in the network. If you want this to be more real time and work whenever you are connected to WiFi somewhere, you could get a VPN setup between your Island and the main machine. This is pretty easy with a program called Hamachi by LogMeIn and pretty inexpensive ($30/year for 16 connections) and secure (encrypted connection). But there are others.

Let us know how it goes and if you have problems you can always call in.
    glowfish wrote:So almost weekly my island is not able to connect with my main register. They are 3 feet from each other and on the same wireless.

1. What should the server path be set to?
    2. When I check the LAN address it shows .103 but the main ends in .150 not sure if I need to switch one.
    3. We have the main set to a static ip address that ends in .150
    4. The island is set to automatically find ip address.

Is there something I can do to make this connection more stable? It is affecting our inventory and also our POs. I have contacted you guys on this matter and have also had a local computer guy out but they keep loosing connection. I may call you guys Monday but am hoping to do with without a cost.

Thank you and have a fantastic weekend!
  • glowfish
    New User
    New User

by glowfish » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:50 pm

I turned on and off the main machine. I think that might have done the trick. I also switched the LAN on the settings of the island to .150. I am not sure about switching the IP address to the 127.0.0.1. Is this okay to set the regular IP address to that? It seems short.
    Thank you for your thorough response. We are up and running! Hopefully for good now!
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:55 am

Just to be clear.

127.0.0.1 is ok for the settings in Tools|Settings|Server Connection IP address. This is how every computer references itself.

The .150 address is what the RetailEdge Island settings in the Workstations Settings RetailEdge Island Tab should be set to.

Glad to hear is is all working.
    glowfish wrote:I turned on and off the main machine. I think that might have done the trick. I also switched the LAN on the settings of the island to .150. I am not sure about switching the IP address to the 127.0.0.1. Is this okay to set the regular IP address to that? It seems short.
    Thank you for your thorough response. We are up and running! Hopefully for good now!
Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1