Post Reply 3 posts Page 1 of 1
NEED HELP WITH INVENTORY SET UP FOR SELLING PARTS OF A WHOLE
  • JillK
    New User
    New User

NEED HELP WITH INVENTORY SET UP FOR SELLING PARTS OF A WHOLE

by JillK » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:50 pm

We sell building materials in a warehouse environment. When boxes of tile get opened, broken, etc., we would like to be able to sell individual pieces out of the unit. When the tile is out of the box, it is impossible to identify the item code or color.
    I've set up an individual tile item by size of tile. My thought is that I can group those individual tiles into "boxes" and use Inventory Edit to reduce the shrinkage showing for inactive tile. How can I account for Cost of Goods in Retail Edge? The boxes (original units) have been entered with their costs. I set the newly added individual tiles with a cost of $0 because their actual cost has already been accounted for in the box cost. The cost of the tile is being recovered when the individual tiles are sold, but and Inventory Edit would only allow me to deduct a box and make note - the COG for the item would not register from an Inventory Edit.
    How can I account for the sales of these items to counteract the inactive box inventory?
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: NEED HELP WITH INVENTORY SET UP FOR SELLING PARTS OF A WHOLE

by RetailEdge Moderator » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:06 pm

The proper way to do what you are doing with the tile, would be to setup a SKU for the case of Tile, and then have an SKU setup for the individual units of the tile. On the inventory for the individual tile item, edit the Case Tab and tell RetailEdge it can come from the case item. When you sell the individual item, RetailEdge will automatically adjust and split the case and make the appropriate adjustments to your inventory.

However it sounds like in your case you can't do that because at the time of sale there is no good way to identify the item(s). So I what you can do is create a few price point or in your case tile size SKUs. When you split the cases, you should negative receive the cases and then positively receive the individual price point/size tile items. When you negative receive the Cases you could put them all on a Purchase Order that would be to a Vendor setup for your store. That way at the end of the year, you could easily get a total of cases that had problems/broken tile, etc.

In terms of cost, RetailEdge will track average cost of items, so if you adjust the cost of the tile item in receiving to reflect the cost of the individual tile, this should keep your inventory costs straight and give you a pretty good cost of goods sold too.

Hope that helps.
    JillK wrote:We sell building materials in a warehouse environment. When boxes of tile get opened, broken, etc., we would like to be able to sell individual pieces out of the unit. When the tile is out of the box, it is impossible to identify the item code or color.
    I've set up an individual tile item by size of tile. My thought is that I can group those individual tiles into "boxes" and use Inventory Edit to reduce the shrinkage showing for inactive tile. How can I account for Cost of Goods in Retail Edge? The boxes (original units) have been entered with their costs. I set the newly added individual tiles with a cost of $0 because their actual cost has already been accounted for in the box cost. The cost of the tile is being recovered when the individual tiles are sold, but and Inventory Edit would only allow me to deduct a box and make note - the COG for the item would not register from an Inventory Edit.
    How can I account for the sales of these items to counteract the inactive box inventory?
  • JillK
    New User
    New User

Re: NEED HELP WITH INVENTORY SET UP FOR SELLING PARTS OF A WHOLE

by JillK » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Thank you. I've not used "Case Tab", but I'll look in to that. I appreciate your quick response. :P
Post Reply 3 posts Page 1 of 1