Post Reply 5 posts Page 1 of 1
having trouble when using 2 gift cards
  • glowfish
    New User
    New User

having trouble when using 2 gift cards

by glowfish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:34 pm

Hello
    We are having issues when trying to use 2 separate gift cards. Please let me know if you might have a clue as to where I should start to fix the issue. Everything works well with one gift card but wont work with two.
    Thank you!
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: having trouble when using 2 gift cards

by RetailEdge Moderator » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:28 pm

I assume by Gift Card you are referring to RetailEdge's integrated gift cards and not a Visa gift card. If you are talking about the RetailEdge gift cards, then the process would be as follows:

1. On the payment screen press the Use Gift Card button.
    2. On the Redeem Gift Card screen, scan in the barcode or swipe the card, and continue to do so until you have entered all your gift cards, then press the OK button. RetailEdge will then populate your payment method Gift Card with the total of all cards.

What you might be seeing is when you scan or swipe a barcode or magnetic stripe, the scanner or swiper will automatically put a carriage return (Enter key) on the end of the scan/swipe. This tells RetailEdge to enter the card into the list and then RetailEdge waits for another card. If you aren't scanning/swiping, simply pressing the enter key will enter the card into the list. If you don't have a keyboard, then you just need to press the virtual enter key on the touch keyboard when you enter the card number.

If the scanner is not programmed with a carriage return on the end of the scan, then you can simply program it by going to the user guide and scanning the barcode that places this character on the end of the scan.
    glowfish wrote:Hello
    We are having issues when trying to use 2 separate gift cards. Please let me know if you might have a clue as to where I should start to fix the issue. Everything works well with one gift card but wont work with two.
    Thank you!
  • glowfish
    New User
    New User

by glowfish » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:42 pm

We print out labels with a barcode from the Customer Issue Manually gift card option. For some reason the barcode wont scan so we type it in with the dashes to get it to come up. It wont allow us to input another one. I must be missing something.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:15 pm

First if you have an issue barcodes with inventory, customers or gift cards, you just need to make sure you understand what you are scanning.

The best way to do this is to just scan the barcode into a text editor like notepad. This will quickly allow you to see if your scan is coming out the way you or RetailEdge is expecting it.

So in your case, if you scan the barcode and you expect something like 123-456-789 but your scan looks like 123456789, then you know the scanner is removing some characters and might have to be reprogrammed.

When scan a barcode, it should type out the value in notepad and then the cursor will go to the beginning of the next line. If this does not happen you will know you need to have a Carriage Return appended to the end of the scan. Some scanners do this by default, and others you need to program. The scanners have a manual that either comes with it or can be found on-line that will allow you to do this.

Technical support can certainly help you troubleshoot this if you call in.
    glowfish wrote:We print out labels with a barcode from the Customer Issue Manually gift card option. For some reason the barcode wont scan so we type it in with the dashes to get it to come up. It wont allow us to input another one. I must be missing something.
  • glowfish
    New User
    New User

by glowfish » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:18 pm

Cool. Thank you
Post Reply 5 posts Page 1 of 1