Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1
Genius as line display
  • wildman
    New User
    New User

Genius as line display

by wildman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:58 am

I noticed a setting in the credit card settings, "Use Genius As Line Display" What does this setting actually do? If I am reading it right it will show items on the Genius screen as they are entered on the sales screen, If not What?
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Genius as line display

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:33 am

The Use Genius at a line display will display the total sale and sales tax collected for the sale as items are entered onto the sales screen in RetailEdge. This feature was designed by Cayan to allow the Genius to act as a line display. However we found that in many of our tests, it was too slow to be able to fully mimic the sales screen in RetailEdge. Especially when we start adding a number of items to the sale and start discounting items with RetailEdge's discount rules. For instance, if you have a Buy X, Get Y type discount, we actually scan the items after any new item and see wether any existing items need to be adjusted. This requires that all items on the sales screen need to be resent to the Genius. So you can see this is a lot of data to be sending over to the Genius each time an item is added to the sales screen. And when you are in an environment where you are selling a number of items very quickly (e.g., yogurt shops, convenient stores, grocery, etc.) you can quickly overwhelm the device. I know Cayan is working on ways to make this process more streamlined and so in the future we may fully implement the line item functionality.

The real reason we added this feature was because this feature needed to be turned on in order for us to implement pre-swipe on the device. So if you turn on this feature you will see that as soon as you start a new sale, the Genius will prompt the user to swipe their credit card. This can speed things up at the checkout and is a feature many customers expect since it is implemented in many grocery stores, etc. This will also work with Apple Pay if you want to have them "Pre-Tap".

You should call your Cayan representative and make sure your Genius device has been updated to the latest version that supports the Line Item Display functionality.
    wildman wrote:I noticed a setting in the credit card settings, "Use Genius As Line Display" What does this setting actually do? If I am reading it right it will show items on the Genius screen as they are entered on the sales screen, If not What?
  • wildman
    New User
    New User

by wildman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:00 pm

We have tried this, it does not work. I called Cayan, and ask about updates, They sent a request to the tech department. We were called a day later by the tech department advising us that they had updated our terminal, however the ability to pre-swipe is something they are working on and will be implemented in the future, but not available at this time.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Once again we are ahead of the curve. Sorry about that. As soon as we hear that it is available we will let you know.
Post Reply 4 posts Page 1 of 1