Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1
Open Source eCommerce Hosting Solutions
  • hardscrabble

Open Source eCommerce Hosting Solutions

by hardscrabble » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 pm

I am looking to get my shop online and was hoping someone on here could give me practical advice on the easiest, and most cost effective way to do so. I am pretty savvy with design and front end web programming, and wondering if I can do this myself. I really can't afford to spend thousands with the Modern Retail solution. Any other DIYers out there that can give me advice on hosting, shopping cart that are compatible with RetailEdge as well as the PCCharge gateway through WorldPay for CC processing? Thanks, Leanne
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Open Source eCommerce Hosting Solutions

by RetailEdge Moderator » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 am

In addition to the Modern Retail solution we have (for about 6 years) an API server. The API server allows a web programmer to talk to the RetailEdge data from any website using XML requests. That being said one of the reasons we added the Modern Retail option to core RetailEdge is because:

1. We found that although there are many web programmers out there, most of the people calling themselves web programmers are not programmers but people that can manipulate a web site, but don't have the experience to create the code (PHP etc.) to be able to talk to the API server. We do have a number of programmers who have been successful doing this and we can put you in touch with them if you would like.

2. Because of data security concerns it is much easier for a program like RetailEdge to go out to a website like Modern Retail than it is to allow incoming requests from an outside program (like a website) to come into location. This usually requires opening ports through firewalls, doing port forwarding through the routers, making sure that the API is on a separate machine, and segregating this machine from the data machines on a different network. Usually more than what our customers can handle on their own.

3. As I am sure you know putting up a website does not guarantee that you will generate business. A website needs to be marketed and your product needs to be pushed out to other sites (amazon, google, etc.). This is usually more than what our customers can do. They simply want to make it easier for them to upload product and download sales and manage pricing information and availability. Modern Retail does marketing if you want. As simple ecommerce site using open source sites does not.

Hope this helps.
    hardscrabble wrote:I am looking to get my shop online and was hoping someone on here could give me practical advice on the easiest, and most cost effective way to do so. I am pretty savvy with design and front end web programming, and wondering if I can do this myself. I really can't afford to spend thousands with the Modern Retail solution. Any other DIYers out there that can give me advice on hosting, shopping cart that are compatible with RetailEdge as well as the PCCharge gateway through WorldPay for CC processing? Thanks, Leanne
Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1