Post Reply 1 post Page 1 of 1
Anthony Cares: Uninterruptible Power Supply or (UPS)
    Anthony

Anthony Cares: Uninterruptible Power Supply or (UPS)

by Anthony » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Why an Uninterruptible Power Supply is a Good Idea

A couple of weeks ago I came across this article on Ars Technica about what they think are the best UPS’s on the market. I'm not going to comment directly on the reviews or what you should buy but I will comment on why it is a good idea to get one.

Why buy a UPS?

If you do proceed and read the article I would emphasize the “Why buy a UPS? “ Section. In this section the question "Do I need this, or want this?" is asked.

RetailEdge is writing and reading information frequently to the hard disk on the computer. With that said, if you are in the process of ringing out a sale and the power goes out there is a good chance you may get corruption in one of the Sales tables. The reason for this is that once power is lost to the system the head in the hard drive can hit the platter if it was in the process of writing or reading information, causing the information to not properly write to the disk or actually causing physical damage. In this scenario, a UPS would give it time to properly shut down the system in order to prevent the corruption and/or damage to the disk.

This issue is compounded in a RECON/Island environment because the likelihood that data is being written it increased. That is why if you use RECON or Island you may have had synchronization not work due to corrupted tables.

“How do I know if this is an issue?”
    You can check your Windows Reliability monitor (Type into Cortana/Windows Search "Reliability" and select the View Reliability history.

When the Reliability Monitor loads look for the Red X’s, then look in the Reliability details panel. If you see Windows was not properly shut down then you will want to figure out what caused the error and if it was due to power going out then you will want to consider protecting your system.
Post Reply 1 post Page 1 of 1