Post Reply 7 posts Page 1 of 1
compound search criteria in sales screen
  • Ned Rhinelander
    New User
    New User

compound search criteria in sales screen

by Ned Rhinelander » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:22 pm

Disclosure: I'm still in the eval phase of 8.0, though I am a 7.5 user. But this occurred to me:

In the sales screen=>Items, there is a "Find By" dropdown.

Suggestion, create a way to allow custom search criteria. For instance:

Search by Description OR ItemID OR UPC1 OR UPC2 (I think this would result in the system having the most chance of retreiving an item based on a barcode scan...in the event we were storing some items with mfr barcodes and some were issued new barcodes)

The same thing applies to the Customer Find:

"Search by First or Last" would be a handy search criteria to have available.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Compound search criteria in sales screen

by RetailEdge Moderator » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:51 pm

The sales screen search on the sales screen is already a compound search. The customer search however is not. The sales screen item search works as follows:

When entering an item in the Find Item box on the Sales Screen, RetailEdge will automatically search the inventory fields in the following order to find the item:

1. Item ID (RetailEdge price label barcode).
    2. Stock Number.
    3. Current Find By Criteria as listed in the Find By box.
    4. List ID
    5. UPC1
    6. UPC2
    7. Alias ID
    8. Package ID

If an exact match is found in any of the above listed fields, then RetailEdge will stop the search and add the item to the Sales Screen. If an exact match is not found, RetailEdge will go to the Find By criteria listed in Find By box and perform a partial match search. Partial searches look for text matches from the beginning of the inventory field. If the Interior Pattern Match checkbox on the Find Item(s) screen is checked then RetailEdge will search for the Look For text in any part of the inventory field.

This means you have the flexibility to lookup or enter items into the Sales Screen by scanning or entering any of the criteria above.

The customer screen lookup words only on the find by criteria, however there are a few other things about the customer lookup that might help you out.

1. Customer IDs can now be user defined. So you could use first name, last name here and use CustID in the Find By drop down. The search would then in essence search on first name or last name.

2. The search will also automatically search on a Customer List ID. This value is printed out on a RetailEdge customer card label. So if you print out a barcode label for this customer you will be able to scan this value into the customer search box and find the customer.

3. If you use the / as the first character in a search, the search will look up customers by their phone number. This is useful when you don't remember the customer's name (but should). You can simply type in the / and ask the customer their phone number.

Hope this helps and addresses your concern about a compound lookup
  • Ned Rhinelander
    New User
    New User

thanks!

by Ned Rhinelander » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:05 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation on searches...i look forward to trying this out.
  • Seer
    New User
    New User

Boolean operators would be nice in the search screen

by Seer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Boolean Operators like AND, OR, or NOR would be really nice to have in the search screen, or maybe even just the "comma and" operator.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Boolean operators would be nice in the search screen

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Seer, the search works by searching on the highlighted column on the list/manager. You can also filter the list to list only the criteria you want to view in the list. The filter is an AND operation only. Would you like to see an OR operater in the filter? Or are you talking about making the search screen more complex?

Seer wrote:Boolean Operators like AND, OR, or NOR would be really nice to have in the search screen, or maybe even just the "comma and" operator.
  • Seer
    New User
    New User

by Seer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:05 pm

Bill wrote: Would you like to see an OR operator in the filter? Or are you talking about making the search screen more complex?

I guess, yes, but with a check box so you could still do a "simple" search. I guess what I was asking for was the ability to have the search be "all words contained" and not just word groups. So that if there were the following three items you could find them all with:

Search string: 6" BLAH

6" Fan from BLAH
    6" Ring from BLAH
    6" Clamp from BLAH

If that makes any sense...

Seer
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:09 pm

Ah! got it. I will add this to the suggestion database. Thanks

Seer wrote:
    Bill wrote: Would you like to see an OR operator in the filter? Or are you talking about making the search screen more complex?

I guess, yes, but with a check box so you could still do a "simple" search. I guess what I was asking for was the ability to have the search be "all words contained" and not just word groups. So that if there were the following three items you could find them all with:

Search string: 6" BLAH

6" Fan from BLAH
    6" Ring from BLAH
    6" Clamp from BLAH

If that makes any sense...

Seer
Post Reply 7 posts Page 1 of 1