Post Reply 5 posts Page 1 of 1
Interior Pattern Match option in Inventory Filters
  • Noga
    New User
    New User

Interior Pattern Match option in Inventory Filters

by Noga » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:59 pm

Can we PLEASE (please please please) have an interior pattern match checkbox in the inventory filters?

Also, I would like more filtering options. Like the ability to filter by cost, price, margin, etc. We used to have thise ability and it was taken away in 8.0. We used these extensivly and not having them has made my job 150% more time consuming.

Additionally, I would like to be able to filter and sort by average cost, recieved date, and especially last sale date.

Like i said earlier, we used to have some of these abilities and they were taken away in 8.0. They are simple database features and so should not be hard to add back in.

*IF* this is a speed issue, mark them with a (SLOW) tag so people will know... I for one will still use them regardless of speed.
    Thanx

edited to fix a typo and bump the thread
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Interior Pattern Match option in Inventory Filters

by RetailEdge Moderator » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 am

Can you let us know which reports you need these filters on and which ones you use. It is much easier to add a few needed ones to a maintenance release.

Also all RetailEdge filters work as a search from the first letter in the search criteria. So if you set a filter for description = SH RetailEdge will
    find items with descriptions starting with SH (e.g., Shirt Black Medium, Shoe Running, etc.). If you set a filter for description = %SH, RetailEdge will do the interior pattern match for you. In addition another filter wildcard you might want to use is the _ character. This will allow you to search for a particular letter at a particular location in the search criteria. This can be useful (and emphasises the importance of consistency in creating items) if you for instance have created items where the 5th and 6th character in the SKU are the year. So you could use a filter for SKU = _ _ _ _ 04 to search on inventory from 2004 if you built your SKUs that way.

Noga wrote:Can we PLEASE (please please please) have an interior pattern match checkbox in the inventory filters?

Also, I would like more filtering options. Like the ability to filter by cost, price, margin, etc. We used to have thise ability and it was taken away in 8.0. We used these extensivly and not having them has made my job 150% more time consuming.

Additionally, I would like to be able to filter and sort by average cost, recieved date, and especially last sale date.

Like i said earlier, we used to have some of these abilities and they were taken away in 8.0. They are simple database features and so should not be hard to add back in.

*IF* this is a speed issue, mark them with a (SLOW) tag so people will know... I for one will still use them regardless of speed.
    Thanx

edited to fix a typo and bump the thread
  • Noga
    New User
    New User

Re: Interior Pattern Match option in Inventory Filters

by Noga » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Bill wrote:Can you let us know which reports you need these filters on and which ones you use. It is much easier to add a few needed ones to a maintenance release.

Also all RetailEdge filters work as a search from the first letter in the search criteria. So if you set a filter for description = SH RetailEdge will
    find items with descriptions starting with SH (e.g., Shirt Black Medium, Shoe Running, etc.). If you set a filter for description = %SH, RetailEdge will do the interior pattern match for you. In addition another filter wildcard you might want to use is the _ character. This will allow you to search for a particular letter at a particular location in the search criteria. This can be useful (and emphasises the importance of consistency in creating items) if you for instance have created items where the 5th and 6th character in the SKU are the year. So you could use a filter for SKU = _ _ _ _ 04 to search on inventory from 2004 if you built your SKUs that way.

Fantastic... the wildcard solves all my inventory searching problems.

As for which reports, generally inventory reports. I never know what im going to be called on by the owners to provide, but its usually for price comparisons (average cost, margins etc...), or to see whats selling (last sale date). I'm not nearly as concerned with the reports as i was the inventory filter. This will make my job much easier.

Thank you again for getting back to me. I commend you on your customer service.
  • DAVE
    New User
    New User

Interior Pattern Match

by DAVE » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:41 am

Bill,
    Are these wildcards listed anywhere? If not, it would probably be helpful to many users to have such a listing and some examples of how to use them.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Interior Pattern Match

by RetailEdge Moderator » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:52 pm

Dave,

That's pretty much it.

To give you some more background on what is happening, all text filter operators (i.e., description, SKU, UPC1, UPC2, Custom User Fields, etc.) are filterd with a LIKE statement using the wildcard % after the text.
    For instance if you are looking for a item with a description beginning with SHIRT, you would set a filter for Description = SHIRT. What is really happening is that an SQL where clause is being created that says:

where description LIKE "SHIRT%". This means that the filter or report will only include items with descriptions starting with SHIRT and any other character after that.

If you want to have RetailEdge search for SHIRT anywhere in the description you would set a filter for Description = %SHIRT. What this is really saying in the SQL is Description LIKE "%SHIRT%" which will find any description with SHIRT anywhere in the description.

If you want to specify a particular location of a character, then you can use the underscore character (_). So if I want to look for a description SKIRT and SKORT, you would set a filter Description = SK_RT. This would find any instances of skort and skirt. You can use this to force RetailEdge to look up only instances of a certain word or combination of characters only in the middle of the field. For instance if I filter on Description= _SKIRT_, RetailEdge will only find descriptions where skirt has some character before and after the word including spaces.

You obviously can use these in any combination you want. The wildcards also work for text fields on the find screens as well.

DAVE wrote:Bill,
    Are these wildcards listed anywhere? If not, it would probably be helpful to many users to have such a listing and some examples of how to use them.
Post Reply 5 posts Page 1 of 1