Post Reply 7 posts Page 1 of 1
End of Life Items
  • Ultimate PC
    New User
    New User

End of Life Items

by Ultimate PC » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:25 pm

Another really needed feature that I think everyone could use is a end of life check box. We have products that are discontinued but when quoting a system for someone we have to go through hundreds of items that we no longer carry to find the ones we do. We cannot delete these item for warranty purposes but if there was a tab to mark it as end of life it would not remove it from inventory just from coming up in the sales search screen.
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: End of Life Items

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:54 pm

When you delete an item in RetailEdge it is not really deleted. It just gets marked as deleted so that it does not show in the inventory manager and reports. However, it is available for sales and customer history purposes.

So when you delete the item you are essentially marking it as end of life. If you are concerned about marking something incorrectly, you can always get it back by rereceiving the item. Rereceiving an old stock number will "undelete" it.

Hope that helps.

Ultimate PC wrote:Another really needed feature that I think everyone could use is a end of life check box. We have products that are discontinued but when quoting a system for someone we have to go through hundreds of items that we no longer carry to find the ones we do. We cannot delete these item for warranty purposes but if there was a tab to mark it as end of life it would not remove it from inventory just from coming up in the sales search screen.
  • fwhorch
    New User
    New User

Active and inactive items would be helpful for us

by fwhorch » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:31 pm

We'd rather be able to mark products as inactive (whether for end of life or another reason). Then there could be a toggle to display just active products or all products.

During day to day store operations, we just want to work with a limited set of active products. But for historical analysis (or when we are setting up new products to bring in to the store in the future) we'd like to be able to work with a larger set of active and inactive products.

Other systems I've used have this active / inactive inventory feature and I found it very useful.

For what it's worth, I don't like the idea of "ghost" products that have been deleted but that can reappear if someone accidentally receives them.

Fred
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Active and inactive items would be helpful for us

by RetailEdge Moderator » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:42 am

Fred,

Can you explain to us what the difference between what an inactive item and what RetailEdge does? When an item is deleted in RetailEdge it is essentially made inactive. All reports have access to this information so that you can get historical reports on the item. If you need to make this item active again, you only have re-receive the item. Many people have said that they like this automatic reactivation process. Is there another reason you would want to make an item active again if you weren't going to be receiving it again? BTW this also reactivats an item if you are placing it on a PO. However it does not reactivate an item if you are selling it.

fwhorch wrote:We'd rather be able to mark products as inactive (whether for end of life or another reason). Then there could be a toggle to display just active products or all products.

During day to day store operations, we just want to work with a limited set of active products. But for historical analysis (or when we are setting up new products to bring in to the store in the future) we'd like to be able to work with a larger set of active and inactive products.

Other systems I've used have this active / inactive inventory feature and I found it very useful.

For what it's worth, I don't like the idea of "ghost" products that have been deleted but that can reappear if someone accidentally receives them.

Fred
  • fwhorch
    New User
    New User

Difference between active/inactive and deleted items

by fwhorch » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:42 pm

The difference between an active / inactive toggle and the way Retail Edge does things is how easy it is to go between seeing just active items versus all items.

Once I've deleted items, I'm not sure how to see them again unless I go to a PO and put in the SKU. With an active / inactive toggle it would be very easy and intuitive to know how to see old inactive items (just select the "show all items" toggle).

I would like to be able to use a smaller set of active items for my day-to-day work, but on occasion go back and see the old inactive items that we used to sell.

On the Inventory screen, I would like to see a toggle switch that lets me show just active items, or all items (active and inactive). Right now I don't know how to hide inactive items other than by deleting them, and once I've deleted them I don't know how to see them again unless I add them to a PO.

There are many reasons to want to see inactive items besides receiving them. One example is that we pull seasonal merchandise off the sales floor. I'd love to be able to mark those as inactive for day-to-day reports and ordering, but be able to mark them active again when they are back in season. Another is I might decide to stop selling something, but then change my mind later. Right now I can't find the item again when creating a PO unless I remember the SKU (i.e., I can't search by description among deleted items).

Another reason to use inactive SKUs is when bringing in new products. For example, you might have items that you are figuring out how to merchandise. You've received them, but they are not ready for sale yet. You can mark them as inactive until they are ready to sell, but you can still be adding them to inventory. Sales people won't accidentally sell them until they are ready to go.

I'm also worried about re-using SKUs. Does Retail Edge let me assign the same SKU to a product that has been deleted? How would I know that I'm re-using a SKU? With an active / inactive toggle in the last program I used, I got a warning message, "SKU X is already in use for inactive item Y. Do you want to proceed?" If I wanted to overwrite the old inactive item, I could. Otherwise, I knew I needed to pick a different SKU.

In short, I found it very useful to be able to mark items as active or inactive, and I miss that feature in Retail Edge.

Fred
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Difference between active/inactive and deleted items

by RetailEdge Moderator » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:37 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I will add this to the suggestion list

fwhorch wrote:The difference between an active / inactive toggle and the way Retail Edge does things is how easy it is to go between seeing just active items versus all items.

Once I've deleted items, I'm not sure how to see them again unless I go to a PO and put in the SKU. With an active / inactive toggle it would be very easy and intuitive to know how to see old inactive items (just select the "show all items" toggle).

I would like to be able to use a smaller set of active items for my day-to-day work, but on occasion go back and see the old inactive items that we used to sell.

On the Inventory screen, I would like to see a toggle switch that lets me show just active items, or all items (active and inactive). Right now I don't know how to hide inactive items other than by deleting them, and once I've deleted them I don't know how to see them again unless I add them to a PO.

There are many reasons to want to see inactive items besides receiving them. One example is that we pull seasonal merchandise off the sales floor. I'd love to be able to mark those as inactive for day-to-day reports and ordering, but be able to mark them active again when they are back in season. Another is I might decide to stop selling something, but then change my mind later. Right now I can't find the item again when creating a PO unless I remember the SKU (i.e., I can't search by description among deleted items).

Another reason to use inactive SKUs is when bringing in new products. For example, you might have items that you are figuring out how to merchandise. You've received them, but they are not ready for sale yet. You can mark them as inactive until they are ready to sell, but you can still be adding them to inventory. Sales people won't accidentally sell them until they are ready to go.

I'm also worried about re-using SKUs. Does Retail Edge let me assign the same SKU to a product that has been deleted? How would I know that I'm re-using a SKU? With an active / inactive toggle in the last program I used, I got a warning message, "SKU X is already in use for inactive item Y. Do you want to proceed?" If I wanted to overwrite the old inactive item, I could. Otherwise, I knew I needed to pick a different SKU.

In short, I found it very useful to be able to mark items as active or inactive, and I miss that feature in Retail Edge.

Fred
  • Little Mountain
    New User
    New User

by Little Mountain » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:35 pm

This would help me out as well, as we can have multiple types of items that come from different places. Currently, I have to put ***DO NOT USE*** in the item description.

Being able to open and close an item so to speak, would be a great benefit.
Post Reply 7 posts Page 1 of 1