Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1
Star TSP100 receipt printer and Windows 7
  • bobdist
    New User
    New User

Star TSP100 receipt printer and Windows 7

by bobdist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:57 am

I recently replaced one of my POS computers with a new machine running Windows 7 64 bit. Everything is working fine except occasional problems with my Star TSP100 printer not printing. The receipt simply ends up queued in the print spool, and won't print until I power off and power on the receipt printer. This doesn't happen all the time; only once or twice per day. Most of the time, it prints normally. I've tried plugging the printer in different USB ports (deleting and redefining the printer each time), as well as replacing the printer itself with a different TSP100 that I have, so I don't think it's a hardware issue related to the printer itself.

Note that when I did the initial install, the somewhat old installation CD (Windows XP era), wouldn't work, so I downloaded the latest and greatest from the Star website, which claimed it was Windows 7 32 and 64 bit compatible. Is anyone familiar with a problem like this? Any suggestions?

Bob Distelberg
    Newfane Country Store
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Star TSP100 receipt printer and Windows 7

by RetailEdge Moderator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:18 am

Bob,

Sounds like a good question for Star. RetailEdge will print fine if the driver is working.

One thing you might try and we have seen it with the dongle sometimes, that the USB ports turn off to save power. Then the system won't properly recognize the printer or the dongle.

You might want to try this before you go to Star. But Star is pretty responsive, so this might be more expedient.
    bobdist wrote:I recently replaced one of my POS computers with a new machine running Windows 7 64 bit. Everything is working fine except occasional problems with my Star TSP100 printer not printing. The receipt simply ends up queued in the print spool, and won't print until I power off and power on the receipt printer. This doesn't happen all the time; only once or twice per day. Most of the time, it prints normally. I've tried plugging the printer in different USB ports (deleting and redefining the printer each time), as well as replacing the printer itself with a different TSP100 that I have, so I don't think it's a hardware issue related to the printer itself.

Note that when I did the initial install, the somewhat old installation CD (Windows XP era), wouldn't work, so I downloaded the latest and greatest from the Star website, which claimed it was Windows 7 32 and 64 bit compatible. Is anyone familiar with a problem like this? Any suggestions?

Bob Distelberg
    Newfane Country Store
  • bobdist
    New User
    New User

by bobdist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks, interesting thought on the power management. Of course, all the other USB ports are active and fine (keyboard, mouse, barcode scanner and cc reader, etc). I did just check the power management settings, though, and in the advanced settings, there is something called 'USB Selective Suspend', which was enabled. I just disabled it, and I'll see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't work, I'll try to contact Star.
    Bob
  • bobdist
    New User
    New User

by bobdist » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Just to follow up on this, I did end up contacting Star. They acknowledged that there was a problem with their version 5.0 driver and Windows 7 that occasionally causes this kind of issue. They recommended that I download and install the version 4.0 driver and configuration utility and use that instead. I did that three days ago, and all seems fine now. So, something to keep in mind if you're using Windows 7 and the TSP100 printer...
    Bob
    RetailEdge Moderator
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by RetailEdge Moderator » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:05 am

Bob,

Thanks for the update and hopefully this will help some of the other users out.

bobdist wrote:Just to follow up on this, I did end up contacting Star. They acknowledged that there was a problem with their version 5.0 driver and Windows 7 that occasionally causes this kind of issue. They recommended that I download and install the version 4.0 driver and configuration utility and use that instead. I did that three days ago, and all seems fine now. So, something to keep in mind if you're using Windows 7 and the TSP100 printer...
    Bob
  • rudim

by rudim » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Another location had the same symptoms of the printer working from the driver, then the printer able to print from RetailEdge a few times, but then it would fail leaving a two jobs in the que, the first with only one byte and a larger second one. To delete the jobs, as mentioned above, one had to turn off the printer.

The solution, as mentioned above, was to download from www.starmicronics.com website version 4 which worked flawlessly.
Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1