To use the Datalogic Magellan 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400 series scanner/scale you will need to do the following.
1. The scanner scale needs to be dual cable. This means that you will have two cables connected to the scanner that must be connected to two different serial ports on your computer.
2. The cable that is for the scale are connected to the RJ45 port on the Magellan labelled Scale Host. The cable for the scanner is connected to the RJ45 port labelled POS Terminal.
3. Download and install the OPOS Driver for the Magellan from the following site. http://www.scanning.datalogic.com/sitef ... tware.aspx. The current version of the OPOS Driver is v1.12.0046.
4. The OPOS drivers will be installed in a directory (typically c:\program files\DLSOPOS). You may need to make a change to the settings.xml file in this directory to make sure that the serial port on your computer matches the settings in this file. To do this open the settings.xml file in Notepad. Scroll to the section <RS232Scal><RS232Port><Port> Section. Set this to the Com port you are connecting the scanner to.
5. Test that you can communicate with the scale. To do this run the DualTest.exe program located in the c:\program files\DLSOPOS\Driver directory. You should be able to select teh RS232Scale, Open Scale, Claim, Enable and Read Weight.
6. Once you are talking to the scale, setup the scale in RetailEdge. Choose Workstations from the Tools|Settings menu. Then edit/modify the workstation you are connecting the scale to. Press the Scale tab and Choose OPOS Scale. The OPOS ID should be OPOS.Scale and the OPOS Name should be RS232Scale.
7. Then you need to download the Datalogic Wedge Emulation Utility v2.0.3. This Enables routing of serial data through the clipboard buffer so that it inputs as keyboard data. This can found on the same site as the OPOS drivers above. This application once installed will sit in your system tray by the clock. If you need to setup the DL Wedge Emulation Utility, the settings are as follows. But by default they should work. 9600, 8, N, 1, Handshake: None. Set the Autostart to True so that it will automatically start when the computer starts.
You may need to configure the scale to the defaults for RS232 Standard (Dual Cable) and will have to set the scale so that the Label ID is disabled. Datalogic technical support is very helpful and can send you the barcodes you need to set these scale parameters. Tech Support # for Datalogic is 1-888-435-7772